When you’re deep in the middle of an emergency, it’s hard to stay calm. You want to help, but how? That’s why knowing what to do in emergencies can really help.
If you are having any kind of dental emergency, call our Panama City, FL dental office immediately at 850-588-0185. Call us even if you’re not sure if your problem counts as a real emergency or not. It’s much better to talk to us and work together on finding the best solution.
3 Big Tips For Dental Emergencies
You cannot predict emergencies. If you could, then they wouldn’t be called emergencies anymore. That said, here are three things you need to know about dental emergencies so you can handle them better.
1. Stop the bleeding first (and go to the ER if you cannot): Sometimes, a dental emergency just involves a tooth. But you can easily have bleeding due to a cut in your gums or the inside of your cheek or lip. In those cases, your first priority is to stop the bleeding. Use a sterile cloth or some gauze and put pressure on the wound. If you cannot stop the bleeding, go to your closest emergency room before doing anything else.
2. Make a dental first aid kit now for emergencies later: There are first aid kits for medical emergencies, so why not one for dental emergencies? Get a container and label it “Dental Emergencies.” Then put the following inside:
- Dental cement (found in most drugstores)
- A small container for any lost teeth
- Sterile gauze
- Plastic gloves
- Non-aspirin pain relievers
This way, you can spend less time looking for things to help with the dental emergency and more time doing the helping.
3. Put our number in your phone today: Calling our Panama, City dental office at 850-588-0185 is crucial in any kind of dental emergency. But the last thing you want is to fumble around trying to find our phone number. Instead, go ahead and put our number in your phone’s contact list under “Dental Emergency Line”. That way, Dr. Patel is just a button away.
Specific Knowledge For Specific Dental Emergencies
Every emergency is unique because people are unique. However, there are some common dental emergencies that we see here at Panama City Smiles. Here are some tips for handling them.
If you had an accident and chipped a tooth, take some non-aspirin pain relievers. Then call our Panama City, FL dental office for an emergency appointment. Even if you’re not in pain, any accident bad enough to break enamel is bad enough to cause damage inside that you can’t feel right away.
Don’t test to see just how loose it is. Any movement or contact could be the one to make it come out completely. Stop any bleeding, and then call Dr. Patel immediately at 850-588-0185. Your tooth might be able to be saved, but time is not on your side.
Pick up the tooth from the top, rinse it gently, then put it in a container with enough water or milk to cover it completely. Stop any bleeding you might have. Then call Panama City Smiles for an emergency appointment. Although you might not be able to get that tooth back in, bringing it to your emergency appointment is still a great idea.
If you have a toothache that comes on very suddenly, you probably have trauma or an infection deep inside the tooth. That’s why you need to come to our Panama City, FL dental office as soon as possible. You can take some non-aspirin pain relievers for the pain, but it won’t go away until you can get that tooth treated.
LOST FILLING OR DENTAL CROWN
For a lost filling, use dental cement as directed for a temporary filling. For a lost dental crown, use dental cement again but this time as an adhesive to stick it back on its tooth. Dental cement is great stuff, but it’s only designed to last a day or two. That’s why you still need to call Dr. Patel and make an emergency appointment.
Call Panama City Smiles at 850-588-0185 whenever you are having a dental emergency. Same-day emergency appointments are normally available, and if you call after we’ve closed for the day, your call will still be answered by a member of our staff. Dr. Patel and his dental team are here for you whenever you need help.