Dental implants have revolutionized dentistry, especially in the past 25 years. They offer our patients at Panama City Smiles permanent and secure solutions for missing or failing teeth. In addition to replacing individual teeth, they provide a strong foundation for the replacement of multiple teeth and in some cases all teeth.
When you lose your teeth, the bone that supported your teeth is lost, too. Dental implants help maintain the jawbone’s shape and density. They also support the facial framework and soft tissue structures, preserving the natural contours of the face and improving appearance. Dental implants help you eat, smile, speak, and look completely natural. This does wonders to improve your social, psychological, and physical well-being.
The practice of implant dentistry requires extensive initial and continuing education and clinical experience in placing and restoring implants. Dr. Anish Patel has the expertise and experience in planning, surgery, and tooth restoration. He is more than qualified to meet all of your dental implant needs.
What is a Dental Implant?
A dental implant is simply a replacement tooth root, which is surgically placed into the jaw to form the base of a replacement tooth. It is made of titanium or another biocompatible alloy that fuses with the jawbone for a permanent anchor of the replacement tooth. The key to success with dental implants is the process of osseointegration, which is the fusion of the implant with the jawbone.
How Individual Implants are Placed and Restored
Placing dental implants requires precision surgery. We use state-of-the-art diagnostic imaging to plan every implant procedure, so each implant is placed exactly in the correct position. The titanium post is placed in the jaw to fuse with the surrounding bone. After a period of months, when the titanium post is fully integrated with the bone, another post (called an abutment) is screwed into the artificial root. Then a prosthetic crown (the visible portion of the tooth) is either screwed on or cemented to the abutment, and the implant is fully restored as a complete replacement tooth.
Implants are a great option. They have been around for about 35 years now so they have evolved over the years. It is one of the best, if not the best option to replace teeth. It allows you to basically put a man made Titanium root in and then you can put a crown on it and it looks, feels and brushes and everything just like a regular tooth and is pretty much a permanent solution with a 99% success rate. Implants, really, in my opinion, are one of the best ways to replace teeth and also one of the best ways to secure loose dentures and partials. A lot of people suffer with that so when you can put a couple of implants in to help support it, it really allows them to function and smile with more confidence.
Tooth Replacement Options with Implants
● Multiple Teeth Replacement – If you have a series of teeth missing, we can make an implant-supported bridge to fill in the gap. The individually implanted anchor teeth, or “abutment” teeth, are restored with crowns, and one or more false teeth are attached between the implants to replace the missing teeth. They are cemented into place and are permanent.
● Implant-retained or implant-supported dentures – Replacement teeth for a full upper or lower arch, which can be fixed (permanent) or removable.
○ Removable – Four to six implants are placed in the upper or lower jaw and are connected by a metal bar. A removable “overdenture” of a full set of replacement teeth is made to snap onto the bar to keep the denture from shifting, moving, or coming out. Just like regular dentures, implant-retained dentures need to be removed for cleaning and during sleep.
○ Fixed or Permanent – Four to six implants are placed in the upper or lower jaw. A full set of permanent teeth is cemented or screwed into place permanently. Your replacement teeth need to be brushed and flossed like your natural teeth.
● Immediate placement after extractions – Some patients are good candidates for a Same-Day Smile. This is a procedure in which we extract teeth, place implants, and attach a permanent denture or removable overdenture in one appointment!
Implants Can Change Your Life!
Can you imagine being able to eat what you like? Can you picture yourself smiling without hesitation in family photos? Can you imagine meeting new friends or going to a job interview with renewed confidence? You will be able to speak clearly, smile beautifully, and chew without pain or discomfort. Dental implants can change your life in many ways.
What are you waiting for? Your new life can start now. Make an appointment with Dr. Patel today to see if dental implants in Panama City, FL are a good option to solve your dental problems. Call Panama City Smiles at (850) 588-0185 or use our online form to request information or an appointment.