Nonsurgical Gum Disease Treatment
Your gums are a vital factor in good oral hygiene. If your gums are in need of professional help, visit Panama City Smiles in Panama City, FL for painless nonsurgical gum disease treatment from Dr. Patel or Dr. Pappas.
How Does Panama City Smiles Treat Gum Disease?
Panama City Smiles offers a highly effective, nonsurgical treatment using scaling and root planing to prevent the spread of gum disease. The process is simple. We will:
- Numb the area with a local anesthetic to minimize discomfort.
- Thoroughly scrape and clean the tooth from the crown to below the gumline to remove plaque and tartar (scaling).
- Smooth the tooth root surface to prevent more bacteria from building up (root planing).
Usually, we can do the gum disease treatment in two visits that last about an hour and a half each. Once treatment is completed, your gums will tighten around your teeth properly, protecting your tooth roots. We may prescribe antibiotics before or after your gum disease treatment to prevent infection.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the tissues that surround and support your teeth. It is caused by plaque and tartar (hardened plaque) buildup, which creates:
- Irregular surfaces on the teeth where bacteria live and thrive.
- Pockets between the gums and teeth, causing infection and inflammation.
Because gum disease is usually painless, you may not even know you have it until symptoms – like gum sensitivity and bleeding – are noticed in a routine cleaning or exam. Gum disease can lead to tooth loss and has even been linked to serious problems like heart disease, so we need to treat it quickly to keep it from progressing into a more serious issue.
If your gums are sore, swollen, or bleed when you brush or floss, make an appointment with Panama City Smiles right away to have a dental cleaning and a gum disease screening. Contact us using our online form or call us at 850-588-0185 to schedule.